The idea is to track always every visit (no matter if it's a bot, blacklisted spam or what ever)
but having a centralized list* of visits to ignore
The list should use a standard format for very visit to ignore
The advantages are:
1) that one never loose a visit (e.g. because the filter is set-in earlier in process)
2) one can easily revert ignoring:
a) permanent restore with undo function related to (#9181)
b) or temporary (#9067 a simple "switch" show or hide bots)
3) one can make easily new statistics like x% of our visits are bots (this has do be considered planning server loads)
4) one can easily see things like which pages were visited by bots (see #9067), where exactly is incoming spam etc. everything without maintaining different tracking proceeder.
5) we got more standardisation which makes everything easier to maintain, to extend etc.
probably there are some more use-cases...
All should fit together with
*detail: of course a centralised list could also consist of sub-lists (e.g. for better processes in #9183), but they are being stored on a central place with a standardized format.