@utrautmann opened this Issue on August 10th 2022

This issue is related to the new 4.11 feature described here:
https://github.com/matomo-org/matomo/issues/2030#issuecomment-928878139

Expected Behavior

The "Viewed before Goal XYZ rate" should "The ratio of conversions of Goal XYZ where this page was viewed prior to converting."

My understanding is that "was viewed prior to converting" means "was viewed in the visit prior to converting."
I hope this is right.

Current Behavior

I found a lot of page urls that were in the visit before the conversion and have now a"Viewed before a rate" of 0% and can't explain me this zero value.

See this screenshot please. This goal has 54 conversions.
The red marked page url has 22.64 conversions but 0% view prior rate.

grafik

@bx80 commented on August 11th 2022 Contributor

Hi @utrautmann, thanks for reaching out.

You are correct, "was viewed prior to converting" does mean "was viewed in the visit prior to converting." :+1:

Some of the values used to calculate the 'viewed before' rate are generated during the archiving process. It's possible that conversions created prior to upgrading to version 4.11 do not have the archived values needed to correctly calculate the percentage.

If you choose a time period after you upgraded to 4.11, such as yesterday, do you still see any unexpected 0% 'viewed before rates'?

If not then I'd suggest invalidating and re-processing archives for the time period you want to view., This should make sure all the values needed to calculate the 'viewed before' rate are present, which should hopefully fix the problem.

Otherwise let us know and we can investigate further.

@utrautmann commented on August 11th 2022

Hi @bx80 ,

the time that I choose in the screenshot was for 09/Aug/2022. I 've upgraded Matomo to 4.11 at 05/Aug/2022, so I think all report metrics were created after the upgrade.

I will look for another example with a more manageable amount of visits and goals - hopeful it helps you.

@utrautmann commented on August 11th 2022

Hi @bx80 ,
here comes a simple example. I anonymized some informations.
We had 8 conversions yesterday for the goal "Klick auf Link zu uni-assist.de"

grafik

Let's take a deeper look to the first red marked URL. "Viewed before ... rate" is 0, but conversions are 0.5.
24 pageviews and 19 unique pageviews (this value we don't see here actually because of #19615 )
grafik

So I've extracted the visitor log for this first URL.
Please checked the attached PDF. The concrete URL is highlighted:
FireShot_Capture2022-08-10 - Webanalytik-Berichte - Matomo.pdf

We have 2 visits where the goal was achieved, but only one visit, where the page impression was prior the goal conversion.
8 conversions overall and 1 conversion with a page impression with this URL( view before... rate --> 1/8 = 0.13%)

Edit:
The visit with the page impression prior the goal conversion has also a page impression for this URL after the goal conversion.
Maybe here is the problem:
grafik

I hope my interpretation is correct, that something is wrong here.

Regards
Udo

@bx80 commented on August 11th 2022 Contributor

Hi @utrautmann,

Thanks for the extra information, that's really helpful! :slightly_smiling_face:

It definitely looks like there is something wrong here, I'll investigate further :+1:

@bx80 commented on August 16th 2022 Contributor

@justinvelluppillai I've added this to the current milestone since it's a potentially high impact issue with a new feature.

Powered by GitHub Issue Mirror