(I thought I wrote about this before, but couldn't find an issue)
The Chrome team is working on a large change that plans to deprecate the user-agent string.
The current(?) Chrome 83 already freezes the string and Chrome 85 will unify it to one common string for all desktop and one for all mobile users.
As a replacement the client hints standard is proposed: https://github.com/WICG/ua-client-hints
This allows to get similar data about a device already separated by things like brand, browser, os, etc. (meaning device-detector would not be needed anymore).
There is both an HTTP header (that only returns non-vague results if the server requests them) and a JS API for accessing the data.
Chrome"; v="73", "ChromiumBasedBrowser"; v="60", "Chromium"; v="73" (and the corresponding dictionary from JS) is a valid response and browser vendors are encouraged to "randomly [include] additional, intentionally incorrect, comma-separated entries with arbitrary ordering".
It seems like at the moment only Chromium-based browsers are working on implementing this standard, but as it seems like these are by far the majority now, that doesn't really matter.
I added this to 4.0 RC for now as it impacts every Matomo user as the most popular user agent will display incorrect results.
https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/202#issuecomment-558294095 (Position of the firefox team on this standard)
BTW @Findus23 just tested using latest Chrome 83 and Chromium 86. Both of them did not send any of the new headers, neither is the new navigator property set to read this through JS, nor did it look like the user agent was frozen. Wonder if these things were delayed eg due to covid 19
Seems this is still in development: https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5704553745874944 https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5704553745874944
checked again and seems there's still no update
This feature is still in development in Chrome