This issue is similar to #10439, but that is reported as fixed as of 3.13.0-b1, and I'm running the latest 3.13.4 which postdates that. So I'm opening this here, rather than re-opening that, assuming it's not exactly the same. If someone wants to close this as a duplicate I'll happily re-open that issue instead.
I began getting alerts that my total database size was growing too big, and I was getting mysqldump backup failures. The table that keeps failing to dump is the 2020-01 archive blob table.
Following the comments in the issue I've just linked, I tried running
./console core:purge-old-archive-data all. The total database size shrank by about 1/3, but that 2020-01 blob table remains as large as ever.
So I looked at a backup I had managed to take of the database from 3 days ago.
So the table has doubled in size in 3 days. I don't know how the archiving works, but I'd expect the archive of January 2020 to be stable now. Fresh visits should mean the April 2020 table continues to grow, but surely the data within the January table should not be changing.
Weirdly, March 2020 is also big (59 MiB, but hasn't got any larger compared to 3 days ago - presumably there was more traffic that month); April is bigger (already 201.4 MiB, grown from 56.1 MiB 3 days ago). However: February is just 10 MiB, and isn't growing. So only certain months seem to be affected. January and April, but not February or March.
So this is part bug report and part support request.
Yes it should. If it doesn't work with the next release, please create a new issue for it.
You can force the clean up with
console database:optimize-archive-tables 2020-04
For me the updater didn't shrink the archives, at least not right after the update. Given the table size of >4 GB was messing up a lot of things, including the
core:archive cronjob that stacked up, I didn't want to wait for the scheduler.
./console core:purge-old-archive-data all right after the upgrade, and the tables shrank right back to where they should be (1.5 GB -> 350 MB)
@James-Oakley oops I forgot a word in my sentence: 'it' referred to the updater. The optimizer worked fine.