When I first visit the "Social networks" report, it does not show the names and icons of the networks:
If I change any settings using the hidden gear icon, for instance by switching to hierarchical mode and back, then the names and icons appear:
It is not a specific value of the settings that causes the problem - the problem happens regardless of what the original settings were, and it goes away on any change in settings, even changing back to where they began. Changing the date range causes it to reset; the names disappear.
Clicking on "Row evolution" for a network with its name missing produces a pop-up with the error "Error: Expected label to be an array, got instead: " (nothing visible after the colon). Row evolution works normally after a settings change causes the network names to appear.
The problem seems specific to the "Social networks" page; I haven't seen something similar on other pages, though there may be some that I haven't had occasion to visit.
It has existed for at least a few months; I kept hoping that the next Matomo upgrade would fix it, but so far no such luck.
Thanks for the report @mskala - so far we haven't heard or seen this bug in Matomo. Are you using any browser extension, do you get the same issue across different browsers and devices?
Symptoms are the same in Firefox and Pale Moon under Linux, and in Internet Explorer under Windows 10. My Firefox has AdBlocker Ultimate and NoScript but my Matomo installation is supposed to be whitelisted in both of them; and the other two browsers are unextended.
Yes, it's still present for me in 3.12.0.
No, it doesn't happen on the demo stie. Still happens on my own site in 3.13.1.
This is still a problem in 4.0.0. I don't understand what "feedback" you're waiting for.
@mskala I'm still not able to reproduce that locally, so it's hard to find a possible reason.
Which browser are you having this issue with? Can you maybe see any error in the browser console.
Could you maybe give us access to you Matomo instance so we can have a look there? Feel free to send use the credentials to firstname.lastname@example.org and mention this issue in the email.
As mentioned, this happens in every browser I have tried. My main browser at the moment is Firefox Developer Edition 67.0b16 (64-bit) under Linux, but it's also been a problem in several other versions of Firefox, Pale Moon, and Internet Explorer on multiple Linux and Windows machines. I don't have a Chrome installation to check with.
I tried creating an account just now, intending it for sharing with you, but I wasn't able to reproduce the problem in the second account. I went through giving the new account a number of different settings and access levels (including superuser) and it consistently worked in the new account and didn't work in my old account. If I can get the problem to reproduce in an unprivileged account I'll share that with you but it doesn't look good at the moment.
That does suggest that maybe there's something uniquely screwed up about my own user account, which has been part of my system since I first installed Piwik - and it was Piwik at the time - many versions and several years ago. Maybe I can just delete and re-create my own account and resolve the problem that way. Is there any important reason I shouldn't go that route? If that works, it leaves the original cause of the issue unknown and unfixed, but it would at least resolve my own problem.
@mskala thanks for the additional infos.
Could you please have a look at your database and look up the option value in the table
matomo_option with the option name
viewDataTableParameters_login_Referrers.getSocials (login needs to be replaced with your login).
If it exists you could try if removing that record changes anything
Thank you, this SQL command seems to have resolved the problem with social network names not displaying.
delete from piwik_option where option_name = 'viewDataTableParameters_mskala_Referrers.getSocials';
Current-day archive reports stopped working when I did that; after waiting for the cron job to run a couple of times and seeing that it still didn't update them, I ran the console command described at https://matomo.org/faq/how-to/faq_155/ to invalidate recent reports. This produced several pages of "LOAD DATA INFILE failed... Error was:
Try #1: LOAD DATA INFILE : SQLSTATE: Invalid authorization specification: 1045 Access denied for user 'piwik'@'localhost' (using password: YES)" messages.
While I was trying to figure out how to resolve that, the cron job ran again and regenerated the reports, so the LOAD DATA INFILE error evidently was not fatal.