Now that we have Geoip2 activated by default for all new users (done in https://github.com/matomo-org/matomo/pull/12699), we should also activate the feature for all existing users who are upgrading. Since Geoip2 requires a DB update for the Region column, we need to wait for Matomo 4 to enable the plugin.
Suggested steps for final Geoip2 takeover
- Activate the plugin on update to Matomo 4.0.0
- Could we automatically download the database?
- When Geoip1 was enabled, and Geoip2 database successfully downloaded, could we automatically enable Geoip2 provider instead?
- We should also move all the Geoip1 code to a separate plugin. Later (maybe in Matomo 5?) we should then remove/delete this plugin completely.
- Check that all FAQs/ user guides exclusively mention Geoip2 (delete all Geoip1 specifics)